Home Remedies for Low blood sugar:
Low blood sugar also called hypoglycemia is a condition where the person has abnormally low content of glucose in blood.
Generally the glucose level in the blood is 70mg/dl, if the person has less than 70mg/dl glucose in blood then the condition is called hypoglycemia.
Glucose is required for the proper functioning of body organs, as a result of hypoglycemic condition the vital organs in the body such as liver, kidney and brain get insufficient energy and gets impaired. Carbohydrates breakdown to form simple glucose in the body.
Causes for low blood sugar:
Generally it is seen in diabetic patients. The main causes are;
- Excess insulin
- Glucose deficiency
- Malnutrition or fasting
- Oral medications
- Addisons disease; Disorder of adrenal gland
- Excess alcohol
- Diseases of liver, kidney or pancreas
In rare cases, it also caused due to insulin producing tumors.
- Confusion and altered mental status
- Blurred vision
- Aggressiveness, moodiness
- Uncoordinated movements
- Rapid heartbeat
- Fatigue and headache
- Skin tingling
- Pale skin
- Nervousness and seizures
Overtime, a hypoglycemic person can experience allergies, sleeplessness, anxiety, depression and weight gain.
Hypoglycemic is classified into:
- Mild hypoglycemia: Person feels hungry and nausea. Nervousness and sweating is seen in patients.
- Moderate hypoglycemia: Person feels short tempered, nervous and confused. Vision gets blurred.
- Severe hypoglycemia: Seizures can occur. The person can go into coma or it may cause death.
General treatment for hypoglycemic patients:
- Eat simple sugars like candies, sweets, sugar and honey.
- Instead of heavy meals, eat six meals a day.
- Have fresh fruits and juices
- Eat more fiber content food
- Eat diet which contains protein such as fishes, poultry, meats and dairy procucts such as low or non fat milk and cheese. Take care that daily diet should contain at least one protein rich food.
- Maintain a healthy body weight by consuming healthy diet. Overweight or obesity can cause many health problems
- Adequate exercise is required for good health
- Avoid alcohol consumption
Home remedies for Low blood sugar:
- Liquorice powder; Liquorice contain cortisone type substance which helps the body to restore without the demand for insulin. Thus it gives strength and energy.
Take one glass of hot water and add one table spoon of liquorice powder. Mix well and drink it when luke warm. Drink daily twice a day.
Do not use liquorice daily in a row for more than seven days; it may increase your blood pressure. Avoid in pregnancy and feeding.
- Honey and cashew nuts:
Ingredients: cashew nut powder (crush cashew nuts or grind them), honey
How to Prepare: Take one glass of luke warm water, to it add 2 table spoons of cashew nut powder and one table spoon of honey. Mix well and drink daily at night.
- Eat 6-7 tomatoes every day
- Make a habit of eating 2 unpeeled apples every day. Apples contain higher percentage og fructose, which do not require insulin and is fairley absorbed into the system, goes into liver and is available as glucose which is burned for instant energy
- Apple Tea: cut 2-3 apples into small slices along with the peel. Boil the slices in water for about 15 minutes. Strain if needed. Add liquorice for flavor.
Ingredients; 10-15 raisins commonly called kishmish
How to prepare: soak 10-15 raisins overnight, drain the water and eat them in the morning on an empty stomach. Avoid eating any food until an hour after eating this.
- Bilberry juice and wild yam helps in controlling insulin levels in the body
- Sarsaparilla: It contains cortin harmone, which is secreted by adrenal gland. It helps in adrenal malfunctions.
- Blueberry leaf tea is very useful to control hypoglycemia.
- Dandelion roots are also effective for the functioning of pancreas. A cup of dandelion tea 2-3 times a day is greatly useful for hypoglycemic patients.
- Almonds :
Ingredients: soaked or sprouted almonds, banana, pine apple juice, brewers yeast, chia seeds.
How to prepare: Blend one cup of sprouted or soaked almonds, add two cups of water to it. To this add some pine apple juice, banana, tablespoon of brewers yeast and chia seeds. Blend until the seeds thicken the drink. This drink contains high protein value.
- Diet should contain high quality of protein foods such as sun flower seeds, sprouted almonds and chia seeds.
- Chia Seeds:
Ingredients: chia seeds, bananas
How to Prepare: Add about one cup of milk to a blender, to it add equal amount of any juice, bananas and half cup of chia seeds. Blend it until smooth. Chia seeds are good source for instant energy or hypoglycemic patients.
Regular monitoring of tour glucose levels is necessary. Take healthy diet and do yoga and exercises.
Eat well and stay fit!!