Stretch marks can occur during sudden changes in body size, such as during pregnancy, puberty, or rapid weight-gain. Ninety percent of pregnant women will get stretch marks around their abdomen, hips and thighs, and unfortunately, they seem to be genetic — if your mom had stretch marks, odds are that you will too.
Stretch marks can make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about your appearance. Fortunately, there are several natural ways to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
Apricot Mask: Apricot scrub can also be used for rapid removal of stretch marks. Below is the process to apply apricot mask that you have to apply on your stretch marks daily for at least a month or more.
- Cut and open the apricots and remove their seeds.
- Crush the fruits to get their paste.
- Apply this apricot paste on your stretch marks.
- Leave for about 15-20 minutes and wash with warm water.
Repeat everyday (you may initially do it twice a day) for a month.
Sugar: Natural white sugar is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of stretch marks. You can use the sugar to exfoliate your skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on the skin for at least 10 minutes every day before taking a shower.
- Do this for a month or so and watch your stretch marks become lighter.
Potato juice: It contains vitamins and minerals that foster growth and restoration of skin cells. It can effectively restore skin cells fading away your stretch marks.
- Cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices.
- Take one of the potato pieces and rub it gently on the stretch marks for a few minutes. Make sure the liquid from the potato covers the affected area.
- Allow the potato juice to dry for some time and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Aloe Vera: Benefits of aloe vera are now very popular among the fans of home remedies. This herb has in it the plant collagen which excellently repairs human skin too. Use, as far as possible, the fresh aloe gel taken from the leaves instead of using store bought gel.
- De-thorn the aloe vera leaf and remove its outer skin.
- Take out the sticky gel from the inside of the leaf.
- Apply this fresh aloe gel on your stretch marks.
- Wash off with water after this couple of hours.
Lemon Juice: Another simple ways to lessen stretch marks is to use lemon juice. Lemon juice is naturally acidic which helps heal and reduce stretch marks, skin injuries, acne, and other scars.
- Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Another option is to mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
To make it a superfast remedy for stretch marks, you can mix lemon juice with other ingredients in equal quantities (for example 1tbsp lemon juice with 1 tbsp other juice):
- Lemon juice with cucumber juice
- Lemon juice with potato juice
- Lemon juice with tomato juice.
Drink Water for Hydrated Skin to Aid Removal of Stretch Marks
No remedy will work effectively if your skin is not always hydrated and full of suppleness. Drink enough water (if enough means 8-10 glasses for you, have at least this much!) Not only hydrated skin detoxifies your body but also restores the lost elasticity of the skin.
Olive Oil: Olive oil contains a lot of nutrients and antioxidants that help improve various skin problems including stretch marks.
- Massage slightly warm pure olive oil into the affected skin area. This will improve the blood circulation and reduce the stretch marks to a great extent.
- Leave it for half an hour so that the vitamins A, D and E present in the oil are absorbed by the skin.
You can also mix olive oil with vinegar and water and use it as a night cream. This will keep your skin stay moisturized and also exfoliate the skin.
Cocoa- Shea Butter Homemade Cream to Remove Stretch Marks
You can make a stretch mark removal cream at home. You need some very commonly available ingredients for this home made cream- those that have been recognized as most skin friendly ingredients by all – cocoa butter(2 tsp), Shea butter(2 tsp) and vitamin E oil(1tsp).
- Melt the Shea butter and cocoa butter.
- Add vitamin E oil to the melted butters.
- Mix well. Store in a container.
- The cream will get into solid state once it cools down.
Apply this cream at least twice a day after having bath.
Castor Oil: Castor oil, which is used in the treatment of a number of skin problems such as wrinkles, age spots, moles, dark spots, fine lines and pimples, can also be used to quickly get rid of stretch marks.
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and gently massage the area in circular motions for at least 15 minutes.
- Wrap the area with a thin, cotton cloth. Using a hot water bottle or a heating pad, apply some heat to the affected area for at least a half an hour.
- Repeat this process daily for a minimum of one month to notice positive results.
Alfalfa: Alfalfa leaves contain eight essential amino acids which are good for overall health of the skin. They are also rich in protein and vitamins E and K, which help in restoring and increasing body tone. The anti-fungal agent present in alfalfa leaves alkalizes and detoxifies the skin, which helps minimize scars including stretch marks.
- Mix some alfalfa power with a few drops of chamomile oil to form a smooth paste.
- Massage the paste into the affected area two to three times a day.
- Repeat this daily for one week and you will notice great improvement.
Egg Whites: Egg white contains 40 different proteins. You can understand why it is so beneficial for skin health. Egg whites are also rich in collagen and vitamin A and thus can treat scars or burns too effectively. So go ahead with this remedy and apply egg white on your stretch marks.
- Take out the egg white by separating the york.
- Beat the egg white and apply on your marks.
- Leave for 15 minutes and wash off with water.
Apply some moisturizer or oil (like olive oil) after you pat dry the area.