Dandruff is a common scalp disorder. It can occur due to dry skin, irritated oily skin, growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp, inflammatory skin conditions and other such factors. It causes itchiness along with excessive formation of dry skin flakes on the scalp.
Dandruff can be controlled by following a healthy hair care routine. You can also try some simple natural home remedies. It is true that natural remedies take time to show results but they can effectively treat the problem completely.
Beets and beet juice have been effectively used as a dandruff treatment for a very long time
- Take four spoons beetroot juice and mix two spoons ginger juice.
- Apply this mixture on scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with cold water, you will be relieved from dandruff.
The herb fenugreek has antifungal and soothing properties that can help control dandruff to a great extent.
- Soak two to three tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning, grind them into a fine paste. You can also add a few teaspoons of plain yogurt to it.
- Apply the paste all over your scalp and leave it in for a few hours.
- Rinse it out and shampoo your hair.
- Do this once or twice a week.
Lemon juice contains acids that fight the fungi that can cause dandruff. It also helps relieve itching on the scalp.
- Mix the juice of half a lemon in one-quarter cup of plain yogurt. Apply it on your hair and scalp. Leave it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off and shampooing your hair.
- Alternatively, you can simply massage your scalp with a few teaspoons of lemon juice mixed with a little water. Leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing it out and shampooing your hair.
Basil have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Take same measure of basil powder and gooseberry powder. add few drops of water and make a thick paste
- Apply this mixture for scalp and hair. Let it dry for 30 minutes and wash the hair. This will remove the bacteria which causes dandruff.
Being a mild exfoliant, baking soda helps remove dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil. It can also help balance pH levels on the scalp and reduce the growth of fungi that cause dandruff.
- Wet your hair and rub a handful of baking soda onto your scalp.
- After a couple of minutes, rinse your hair well with warm water.
- Repeat once or twice a week for a few weeks.
Note: Do not shampoo your hair after this treatment.
Scalp dryness can be cured with regular use of extra-virgin olive oil, an effective natural moisturizer.
- Heat some extra virgin olive oil until it is slightly warm.
- Massage it onto your scalp and then wrap your hair in a warm towel.
- Leave it on for at least 45 minutes or overnight and then shampoo and condition your hair.
- Repeat this remedy a few times a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Scalp treatment with apple cider vinegar is effective in getting rid of dandruff. It restores the pH balance of the scalp, thereby inhibiting the growth of yeast. It also works as a natural hair clarifier and helps clean clogged pores and hair follicles.
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix an equal amount of water and 15-20 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Apply it onto your scalp and massage. Rinse your hair after a few minutes.
- Follow this natural treatment two or three times a week.